Is CBD Oil Legal in West Virginia?
West Virginia was one of the very first states to recognize the many benefits of the industrial hemp plant. Because of the state’s recognition, CBD products are available for purchase throughout the state.
THC and CBD
There are a few notable differences regarding THC and CBD. Cannabidiol, CBD for short, is one of the various compounds that if found inside cannabis. Studies have found that this compound offers a unique treatment option for those diagnosed with pain and inflammation. Cannabidiol is non-psychoactive, it does not create any type of mind-altering, intoxicating or euphoric sensation.
Tetrahydrocannabinol, THC for short, is another compound in cannabis. This compound is what is often associated with using marijuana products.
CBD is extracted from industrial hemp, otherwise known as Cannabis Sativa L. The Cannabis Sativa L plant has Non-Detectable THC.
Researchers have claimed that CBD might be beneficial for the following medical conditions:
- Muscle Spasms
- Muscular Sclerosis
- Skin Conditions
West Virginia Law and CBD
The Farm Bill of 2014 legalized the cultivation of industrial hemp in all 50 states. This bill was expanded in 2018. President Donald Trump signed the new bill and industrial hemp was taken off of the national controlled substances list.
In 2002, West Virginia passed Bill 447. This bill specified that:
- Industrial hemp contains less than 1 percent of THC.
- Made an allowance for farmers who were licensed to “plant, grow, harvest, possess, process and sell” industrial hemp.
During 2017, the West Virginia Farmers Cooperative had a hemp harvest. Farmers from surrounding states were invited to West Virginia to learn about the many benefits that commercial hemp has to offer.
The Executive director of West Virginia’s Farmers Cooperative, J Morgan Leach has vocally advocated his desire for commercial hemp farmers throughout the state. J Morgan Leach suggests that industrial hemp could lead to a boost in the economy.
The Bottom Line
- Hemp was once a booming agricultural gold mine in the US providing products like canvas for sails, rope, lamp oil and soap.
- Commercial hemp was grown in America from the 1600s until the 1900s.
- Recently, thanks to progressive laws, industrial hemp is making a much-needed comeback.
- Many people claim they benefit from the medical use of hemp-derived CBD products.
- Those who wish to obtain CBD or CBD products should remain aware of the constantly changing laws surrounding it.
- CBD products can be purchased throughout the state of West Virginia and online.